Wednesday, September 05, 2007

 

In Sales Being Different Can Astonish Your Customers


Being better starts with you being different.

The difference is you.

Let me give you an example. One of the things I dislike doing the most is flying. It would be easy for me to go off on a lengthy sidebar on this subject - but I won't.

The airlines don't know anything about customer service, pricing, and supply and demand. They know how to overbook flights. They do know how to pack 2.5 ounces of peanuts into a hard to open foil pouch. And they are masters at losing luggage.

I had to get that off my chest!

I read an article recently about a United Airlines Pilot, Capt. Denny Flanagan, who knows who customers are and how to treat them. He seldom loses sight of this.

Here's a short list of the little things he does for his passengers:

He takes cell phone pictures of pets that are on his plane. Yeah and he shows these pictures to the pet owners. A very nice touch.

He asks the flight attendants to raffle off 10% discount coupons and unopened bottles of wine.

He writes notes to everyone in First Class on the back of his business cards.

When flights are delayed and diverted - he'll find the nearest McDonald's or snack shop so he can handout some snacks.

When he has unaccompanied kids on his flights he'll call the parents from the wild blue yonder with updates - especially when there are delays.

According to passengers, he does these same little things on every flight.

Capt. Flanagan is United's one man PR department.

He's doing no-brainer common sense things that make people feel better about their flight and about United Airlines.

Astonishing isn't it?

Now can you imagine if an entire airline committed to this type of customer service what would happen to revenue?

When time permits - give this some thought. Create a list of 6 little things you can do to astonish your customers.

Astonished customers are likely to pay more too. And why not? Being astonished is not an everyday occurrence for me. Is it for you?

If you need help astonishing your customers you'll get some good ideas from my most popular CD titled, "35 Ways To Differentiate Yourself In A Competitive Marketplace."

Do something to astonish your customers today . . .




Sales Management

Let me know what keeps you awake at night and I'll put it on the agenda of my next Advanced Sales Management Program scheduled for January 29-30, 2008.

Of course you have to sign-up for the program to hear what I'm going to say.

Call (800) 266-1268 and I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Use this link to get more information and to see what you'll be missing if you don't attend.




Time Saver Tip

Here's a fact. "No one has enough time, yet everyone has all that there is."

Everyday you start the day with 86,400 seconds.

I just completed a 4-week eCourse. One of the key concepts was checklists.

Imagine if you had a checklist, of specific things, you always want to do when a new prospect enters your sales funnel. Not only is this a huge time tip it's also a smart sales tip.

Imagine if you had a checklist, of specific things you want to do, after your prospect makes a purchase and becomes a customer.

Imagine if you had a checklist, of specific things, you want to do to get more referrals and of course to follow-up with them.

Imagine if you started everyday with a prioritized checklist of specific things you want to accomplish today.

Here's what I now think about checklists. They keep you focused. They minimize distractions. They keep interruptions to a minimum. They allow you to do what's important first.

When you have a good checklist be sure to do two things - get it laminated and keep it handy.

And another thing . . .

When it comes to managing your time you can stop feeling hapless, helpless, and hopeless forever. I have so many ideas I've written a book title, "57 Ways To Take Control Of Your Time And Your Life." Get your copy today!




Sales Tip

What do you do?

How many times have you ever heard this question?

How many times have you ever introduced yourself to a new prospect by telling them who you are and what you do?

Imagine you have 15 seconds to tell someone what you do. Could you do it? Could you do it without thinking about it? Could you do it without saying any "Ah's" and "Um's?"

Telling someone what you do is like the opening kickoff in a NFL game. It literally get the ball rolling.

I've asked thousands of salespeople, during my sales training programs, "What do you do," and most of what I hear makes me "Itch." Things like :

"I'm in sales."

"I'm a problem-solver."

"I'm a sales consultant."

"I sell (Insert name of product).

Blah, Blah, Blah!

It's been called an "Elevator speech" and also a "Bar stool test." Doesn't matter what you call it. What matters most is your choice of words and the impact it creates.

You've got 26 letters in the alphabet and a lot of choices. Remember you won't have to chase business, once you learn how to attract it.

Think about this for a few days and play with the words you're using. If you want me to look at it - send me an e-mail with "Elevator speech" in the subject line.

I'll publish some of the best ones I get in a future newsletter.

"So what exactly do you do?"






Words of Wisdom

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Action is eloquence.
Shakespeare

The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.
Bruce Lee





Rants, Raves, and Other Loose Ends

If you're a red wine drinker, you might want to try "Ménage a Trois." It's a red table wine from California. Don't let the name throw you - it's really good and not very expensive.

On a one page ad the wine company had in a food magazine they showed three reviews.

One said "A medium body and soft texture join notes of black currants and blueberries, as well as hints of cedar."

Another reviewer said, "This fleshy red exhibits fresh, ripe red currant aromas that lead to a rich supple core of dried fruit flavors and spicy - oak nuances."

And still another reviewer said, "The supple texture is reminiscent of a tender first kiss. The plush texture marries gracefully with dark chocolate covered ripe red berries."

I enjoy red wine - though I can say I've never experienced black currants, red currants, and chocolate covered ripe red berries. And I must confess I have never detected hints of cedar or oak nuances as I swish, swirl, sip, and swallow my first glass.

Start selling more . . .





Jim Meisenheimer
Publisher - Start Selling More Newsletter



19 years . . .

505 corporate customers . . .

83.3% repeat business . . .

(800) 266-1268




PS - If you're new to the selling game, this special report will help you shorten your learning curve so you can start selling more. "The 10 Biggest Mistakes New Sales Reps Make And How To Avoid Making Them."

You can get more information here:

or cut and paste this link into your browser:
http://www.meisenheimer.com/products/10bigletter.htm



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?