Tuesday, November 15, 2005

 

Selling Tips From New York

Just got back late last night from a four-day/three night visit to the Big Apple. Bernadette, my wife, says it's a chance for me to go back and visit my people, since that's where I grew up.

Here are a few observations that may relate to your daily sales routine.
There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is I didn't take my computer on this trip. The bad news of course, is that I didn't take my computer and had to deal with 1153 e-mails as soon as I got home. Still, not taking the computer was the right thing to do.

We saw two Broadway shows. "Jersey Boys" was spectacular. If you are going to New York you want to see this show. The music was great and the energy was incredible.

The street vendors are a perfect example of what not to do if you're in sales. They are a one-act play and everyone, it seems, reads from the same script. You can be in Times Square, Chinatown, or Greenwich Village, the pitch never varies.

Bernadette quickly learned how to play the game. Remember this, whenever the buyer is more prepared than the seller, the buyer gets a better deal and the seller always makes less money. These street vendors, and not unlike a lot of salespeople that I have observed, only talk about price.

For example, let's say it's a $35 product. Let's also say, my wife wants the product. In almost every case they wanted the sale more than my wife wanted the product. Bernadette would offer a reasonably crisp $20 bill. The street vendor would say, "I'll let you have it for $30."

My wife would say, "I'll buy it for $20." He would counter with, "You can have it for $25."

As she turned to walk away and said, "That's okay, I'll just keep shopping." They would always take the $20 bill.

That's the story and here's the point. If you only talk about price there's only one way your price will go and that's down. If you only talk about price your customers will seize upon the opportunity to pound you into the ground. If you only talk about price, you'll come across as being desperate.

The less you talk about value and solutions the lower your price will be.

The more you talk about value and solutions the more willing people are to pay a higher price.

Let me paint another picture for you. It's Saturday afternoon in New York City. The weather is perfect, the streets are jammed, and the sidewalks are packed. It seems like the only thing moving is the cool fall breeze.

There's a huge 18 wheeler turning onto Broadway. Remember, nothing is moving except the driver's hand on the horn. It was loud and obnoxious. I'm on the sidewalk almost face-to-face with the driver.
Now that I'm back with my people, I yell, "Hey . . . your horn's working try your lights."
He glares at me and says, "I know the horn's working." About 30 minutes later, on a different street, I saw the same driver blaring the same horn.

My life is my laboratory and I can't help seeing something like this and relating it back to sales.

That's another story and here's another point for you.

Some people like blowing their horns. Some people like listening to the sound of their own voices which is not especially helpful if you're in sales. It's safe to say there wasn't a single person who appreciated that horn blowing on that Saturday afternoon.

Likewise most customers/prospects seldom enjoy being with a salesperson who talks too much. In fact, the more you talk the dumber you sound. It's actually pathetic, which reminds me, every salesperson should know what makes you sound pathetic.

If you're interested in finding out, my new CD "How To Avoid Sounding Pathetic During A Sales Call," spills the beans on what's commonly referred to as diarrhea of the mouth.More info here.
http://www.kickstartcart.com/app/netcart.asp?MerchantID=39581&offerID=16002

On another nonrelated note, today's newspaper had an article describing a new fragrance for women. It's called, "Timeless View." It includes the scent of a pink grapefruit and affects the male perception of age by six years.

If you like that product I have another one you might want to consider.
It's called, "Scent Of A Salesman." One spritz and you are guaranteed to close all pending sales. Gimme a break!

In today's Dilbert column, one of the characters was combing his eyebrows over his eyes, so that no one could tell he was asleep. In sales, if you really want to succeed, you have to focus 100% of your energy on your customers and their problems. You'll never succeed in sales by sleepwalking your way from account to account.

New York . . . New York. It's been said, "If you can do it there, you can do it anywhere." I used to believe that - now I don't.

Now I believe, if you're focused and prepared and have the passion of a champion you can do it anywhere.

It doesn't matter where you live, what matters is how you think!

Let's go sell something . . .

Jim Meisenheimer

P.S. - Sales managers - learn more about my Inner Circle Coaching Program.
http://meisenheimer.com/sales_coaching/individual.shtml



Published by Jim Meisenheimer13506 Blythefield TerraceLakewood Ranch, FL 34202


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?