Friday, November 18, 2005

 

A Big Sales Tip. Give It To You On A Platter - And It Won't Matter

In my last newsletter I said I had prepared a perfect way for me to handle the price objection in my business. I received a number of e-mails asking me to share with you exactly how I do that. In a minute I'll tell you why that doesn't make any sense.

But first a short and quick follow-up on the colonoscopy I had on Wednesday. First of all I passed with flying colors. If you recall I made the following statement, "I'd rather have a colonoscopy without anesthesia than talk about pricing" in my last newsletter.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. It turns out I had this colonoscopy without anesthesia because I'm a diabetic and my blood sugar level was a little high. I was awake for the entire procedure and I was able to watch everything on the TV monitor. Somehow, I managed to survive.

Now back to dealing with the price objection. The fact that I had a colonoscopy without anesthesia is still no reason for you to be offering gargantuan discounts to your customers.
Here's why it doesn't make sense for me to give you my way of dealing with the price objection. First, my customers are often presidents and vice presidents of medium to large size companies. My principle product is sales training for their salespeople. And the objection I hear occasionally has to do with my speaking fee.


Now, unless you are a professional speaker you won't be able to use what I use. I will give you a hint though, which might stimulate your thinking about the business you're in. When dealing with the price objection you want to SPIN a single issue. The issue I choose to spin is credibility.

Since most of these presidents and vice presidents want me to help their salespeople get a better price for their products, what would happen to my credibility if I lowered my price to them? I hope you're starting to get the picture.

If I give it to you on a platter it won't really matter. Here's why. I worked on this technique for three weeks 17 years ago and it's still working for me today. The key is I invested a lot of time up front. You can't do this quick and easy. The more time you put into it the better your price objection response will be.

Selling Tip - you cannot spend three weeks focused on doing something (preparing how you will deal with the price objection) and not get it done.

Selling Tip - you cannot use some cookie cutter clichés from a book to solve your reccurring price objection problem.

Selling Tip - you can not sound better than your competition if you're saying the same things. Trust me on this, if you're not preparing your response and your competition is not preparing their response, they're going to sound the same.

If you want to sound different be different.

You've got the same 26 letters in the alphabet that everyone else has. Play with the words until you've developed the perfect response for your customers in your industry. Keep experimenting until you feel it's perfect.

Start thinking about the relative importance of words in your everyday sales activities.

  • You use words when working new leads.
  • You use words when making appointments.
  • You use words when qualifying your prospects.
  • You use words when presenting your products and services.
  • You use words when dealing with the price objection.
  • You use words in your sales proposals.
  • You use words when you follow up.
  • You use words when asking for the business.

These things are too important to be a 100% improvisation. You need a system - a complete system. Are you complete to compete? I have a new CD titled, "How To Become Complete To Compete." I cover ten minisystems which are designed to outsmart the competition.
You'll find more information here:
http://www.kickstartcart.com/app/netcart.asp?MerchantID=39581&offerid=15605&q=2

Even though I had a colonoscopy without anesthesia is still no reason for you to continue to leave dollars on the negotiating table whenever someone asks you for a better price. In sales a little extra homework has a humongous impact on your results and of course your income.

Let's go sell something . . .

Jim Meisenheimer



P.S. - Take a look at my new "The Ultimate No-Brainer Selling Skills Manual - Volume 1." Last chance to reserve your copy.

http://www.meisenheimer.com/products/manual.htm


Jim Meisenheimer publishes The No-Brainer Selling TipsNewsletter, a fresh and high content newsletter dedicatedto helping you grow your business and multiply your income.

Use this link to sign-up for Jim's F-R-E-E No-Brainer Selling TipsNewsletter and to get your copy of his Special Report titled,"The 12 Dumbest Things Sales

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?