Wednesday, July 28, 2004

 

Remarkable promotions that get your attention

 
This is a follow-up to my last newsletter.  You may recall I discussed the importance of "Getting your prospect's attention," before you attempt any selling.  During the last week I was literally bombarded with examples of outstanding "Attention Getters!"
Here they are:


1.  A Naked Cowboy! The first one is the most memorable for me.  After visiting relatives on Long Island Bernadette and I went to New York City to catch a few Broadway shows.  We stayed at the Marriott Marquis Hotel near Times Square.  During our very first stroll down Broadway and positioned in the very center of Times Square was an almost naked cowboy.

This almost naked cowboy was clad only in a cowboy hat, cowboy boots,and a very tiny white bathing suit with the words "Naked Comedy" -printed boldly on his butt. I should also mention he was playing a guitar.  I estimate he got the attention of tens of thousands of passerby's everyday - I know he got mine.

2.  In yesterdays mail I received an eight-page sales letter with thisheadline - ARE YOU RUTHLESS?  Or do your competitors get a lot of the money that should be going straight into your bank account?

And that was just the headline.  They went on to promote a new program called "RUTHLESS MARKETING."  It got my attention!

3. On the cover of the July issue of Fast Company Magazine (which isan excellent read by-the-way) one of the headlines is "Thinking Outside The Cup.  Surprise - STARBUCKS is making a bold push intomusic."  It gets your attention.

4.  In the current issue (August) of Psychology Today Magazine the editors used this headline to get your attention.  BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE - How far does a pretty face go? I checked it out and it was a pretty face.  I read the article - which is what the attention-getter wanted me to do.

5.  I really liked my Mach 3 Gillette Razor.  Until that is, I came across an ad for the all new Gillette M3 Power Razor.  This new razor has Micro-Power which uses gentle micro-pulses to stimulate hair up and away from your skin.  Your new razor includes new Power Glide blades.  Your razor also includes an Indicator Lubrastrip with vitamin E and aloe. An AAA battery is included.  Not only did this get my attention it got my business. WOW - what a shave!

6.  Lynn Stroney drives a limo in Sarasota Florida.  During a recent trip to the Tampa Airport, Lynn told me she was planning to do some advertising.  I knew from an earlier trip that she was a former L.P.G.A. player.  I suggested that she consider incorporating that into her advertising.  She thought about it and discussed it with a friend whose specialty is advertising and they came up with this "Personal Branding Statement" for Lynn.

Nobody drives like a L.P.G.A. Professional!

In today's highly competitive marketplace blending in is out and standing out is in.  Do everything imaginable and ethical to distance yourself from the competitive crowd in your industry.

Remember, Eagles don't flock - pigeons do!  Be an eagle!

Jim Meisenheimer


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?